- Everyone who wishes to share has an opportunity to do so. No one person should monopolize the group time.
- One person speaks at a time. Each person should be allowed to speak free from interruption and side conversations.
- What is said here stays here. This is the essential principle of confidentiality, and MUST be respected by all.
- Differences of opinion are OK. We are entitled to our own point of view.
- We are all equal. Accept cultural, linguistic and racial differences and promote their acceptance.
- Use “I” language. Because we do not participate in discussion groups as credentialed professionals, NO ONE CAN INSTRUCT. We however can share from our own personal experiences. As an example, we cannot say- “ you should do X.” we should say: “when I was faced with that problem, I …” Always put things in the context of your won experiences.
- It’s ok not to share. Respect confidentiality, treat each other with respect and kindness and show compassion.